A new post about Aerosmith every weekday Summer 2012. From the creator of Sound of the Week

Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Smithery: Season 2

Just a quick notice before we jump back in. Last year, I used The Smithery as a distraction for myself from my usual music review site. I was feeling wandering and aimless and wanted something simple to latch onto. My love for Aerosmith has always been uncomplicated. This is just a good, visceral, pure rock band and everything about them seems right to me, even the worst stuff. Last year, I got way, way into their 1970s (and hazy early 80s) stuff and then backed off when my appetite for new stuff returned. That left me with several notable chapters left in the story. This year, I'm back to feeling somewhat blase about my usual assignment - in fact I've mostly gone on hiatus so that I can focus on other projects altogether. But a bunch of influences converged in the past few weeks to point me back at this site, at least for the fun distraction it's supposed to be. One was an ill-advised debate I had with a regular customer in my store (I had skipped my afternoon coffee and was thus easily agitated - at least that's the excuse I'm going with,) and the other was the sudden urge to compile a playlist of 80s hair metal - your Motley Crues, Poisons, Quiet Riots, etc. Maybe hair metal isn't your jam. That's okay. It's a pretty shallow, repetitive form of music, party rock in its purest form: hawt gitar lixx and screechy vocals about "Nothin' But a Good Time." I like it as candy, as dessert, as a way to unwind and unclench when I'm frustrated about the world. Escapism. It was basically the way I first encountered this band as a kid, being that I was more aware of their then-recent 80's output than their 70s gems, and when you're a kid, loud fun music is what's going to draw your ear. What's more, 80s Aerosmith is the dessert course of this band's career, where they flourished as a fun, frothy, weightless version of what they had already been. If you take this music on its own terms, you begin to see the greatness in that endeavour. So that's what we'll be looking at over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment